Sunday, July 19, 2015

Pepsi Days

Through my teenage years I avoided outdoor exercise, outdoor yard work, outdoor walks, and pretty much anything OUTDOORS.  I didn't like to be hot, cold, or have my beautifully aqua-netted bangs messed up.  I remember days when my parents and brothers were out mowing and trimming and my attitude about helping was SO BAD that my mom pretty much left me in my room and didn't bother to have the fight it would take to get me outside.  But now that I'm an adult I absolutely love, love, love to be outside in nature.  And being in the mild summer temperatures of Northern Michigan means that I am walking, running or biking pretty much anywhere I need to go.  Whether it's a short walk to achieve my FitBit goal for the day, a 24-mile bike trip along the paved TART trail, a woods hike up to Empire Bluff, or just reading my book on the porch, I want to be outside under the blue Michigan skies and green Michigan leaves.  

When I was young (it was the 70s, I was maybe 7?) Pepsi had these awesome commercials on the air with the tagline "Have a Pepsi Day!"  (Sigourney Weaver was actually featured in one; hopefully my link works and you can watch it here: (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qM3xWjKFEpU).  My links never work.  Just google it.

But anyway, my mom and I went off to spend the day together and she was telling me what fun we'd have and I asked "Mom, can we please have a Pepsi day?"  Of course she thought that was the cutest so to this day, a super wonderful, practically perfect day is described by me as a Pepsi Day.  I haven't had too many of those this year, but yesterday and today come close.  And tonight, after pizza on the patio, a full day of biking and walking and hammock naps and watching J and 12-year-old C on the lake in the little boat as the sun sets, my heart is pretty full.  





No comments:

Post a Comment